WHO WE ARE AND WHAT WE DO……
Heart Children Ireland is a support group for parents and families of children with a Congenital Heart Disorder. CHD is the most common of all birth defects affecting one in every one hundred children born at present. About half of all babies born with CHD will require heart operations.
- We are a nationwide organisation with over 1,000 member families.
- We were founded in 1990 and are a registered charity.
- We are a completely voluntary group and receive no government funding.
- We depend on our own fundraising and donations from individuals and businesses.
- Over the last 26 years we have raised over €2.5m euro for the cardiac unit in Our Lady’s Children’s Hospital, Crumlin.
We offer support in many ways. Here are some examples:
- Through our News Briefs, we provide updates about Heart Children Ireland services and supports, as well as relevant information about health service matters.
- We provide a Family Psychology Support Service free to all members. Families supporting individuals with congenital heart conditions, adults with congenital heart conditions and bereaved families access this service.
- We host social events where parents can meet and talk (e.g. coffee mornings, summer picnic,Christmas party).
- We hold an annual conference with keynote speakers from the world of congenital cardiology.
- We have purchased life saving equipment for the Children's Heart Centre at Our Lady’s Children’s Hospital (e.g. we purchased the first ECMO machine for the Intensive Care Unit at this hospital).
- We have purchased 18 Oxygen Saturation Monitors for the Cardiac Unit at Crumlin. These machines enable young babies to spend more time at home than they might otherwise do so.
- We have provided 30 CoaguChek machines for our young heart children. We recently provided our 75th machine to the Young Adult Congenital Unit at the Mater Hospital.
- We have provided a dedicated clinic room for the Young Adult Congenital Unit at the Mater Hospital to facilitate our teenagers transferring from Crumlin Hospital.
- We do a lot of work to raise awareness of CHD among health care and education professionals, the government and the general public.
- We are privileged to manage The Blue Ribbon Fund on behalf of the Moran family. This fund provides assistance to families on the transplant journey with their child. This fund is in memory of Elaine Moran.